Horseshoe Trails Elementary School PTO Meeting Minutes
Date | time Tuesday, August 10, 2021 9:15am | Meeting called to order by Stacey Leshner – Co-President
Mr. Pettinato – Principal
8 board members
12 HTES parents
Mr. Pettinato – School Update
Mr. Pettinato welcomed everyone to our first PTO meeting of the new school year. He gave a brief introduction of his educational background and family, and then introduced the 2021-2022 Executive Board Members. He announced that we will rotate between in-person meetings and zoom meetings, so the next PTO meeting will be in the evening via zoom.
PTO Financial Update
Katie Noble (Co-Treasurer) gave a quick review of the 2021-2022 budget as it stands. The budget was approved in May, 2021 for the next school year. Our fundraising goal for the year is $86,000 and we have some fun events planed and amazing new swag to sell, to help reach our goal.
Stacey Leshner (Co-President) announced that we are looking for some key volunteer positions ASAP, as well as many general volunteer opportunities throughout the year for our many events planned.
- Mini-Museum Coordinator - We are in need of a person who can help coordinate parent volunteers from each class for their mini-museum projects (6 throughout the year). They will coordinate a schedule with the teachers, make sure the art cart is stocked and ready, and meet with the class volunteers to review each project beforehand.
- Buddy the Mascot – we need a wonderful parent who will take on the role of our beloved Buddy the Mascot and help deliver Stallion Grams to classes for birthdays. This person would need to come to campus 2 times a month to hand out the stallion grams and will have an escort helping them get around at all times.
- Library Helper – We need someone who can come help out in the library on Fridays from 10:30-12p every week. This person would be helping kiddos check out books during their class library time, and helping put books away.
- There are many other volunteer opportunities available! Please check out the website at htesparents.com to view and sign up.
We have always had a parent or parents who volunteer their time in our school garden. We have been lucky to have a new volunteer this year, Nita Minnich, and would like to bring her under the wing of the PTO Executive Board so we can support her efforts. A motion was made by Stacey Leshner to add the Garden Chairperson to the PTO, and was seconded by Michelle Rigsby. Motion was passed unanimously by all in attendance.
Kathryn Letter (Co-Room Parent Liaison) announced that the teachers will be recruiting for room parents at Curriculum Night (August 24th 5:30-6:30 for K-3 and August 26th 5:30-6:30 for 4-6th). Sign up with your teacher(s) if you are interested in being a room parent this year. There will be a meeting for all room parents in September to review responsibilities and help support you! Essentially, your job is to plan & execute class parties, raise class funds, and give your wonderful teachers gifts for Christmas/birthdays/teacher appreciation. It’s a great way to be directly involved in your child’s class!
Spirit wear sales are going great! We are still taking orders at htesparents.com so please check it out if you haven’t purchased yet. Spirit wear ordered online will be delivered Friday to your child’s classroom. If you ordered at Back to School night, those will be delivered as soon as we receive the order. If you purchased a membership, your swag will be delivered in the first 2 weeks of September. We will be starting a Spirit Wear Friday soon, where kiddos who wear their shirts or shorts can go to the office on Friday and enter to win a raffle for Cherry on Top discount cards.
We just launched the PTO membership drive, which will go the entire month of August. Become a member of the PTO at htesparents.com and select your level of membership to receive cool swag and have a voting voice at our PTO meetings. It’s a great way to be an involved Stallion parent. The funds received will go towards all the amazing events we have planned for our families throughout the year, as well as all the educational programs the PTO funds each year.
Every year Harold’s up in downtown Cave Creek hosts an Oktoberfest fundraiser for Cave Creek schools. This is the first year that HTES will be participating, and we are very excited! It’s a fun night of German food, music and beer and a portion of the proceeds and ticket sales goes back to the schools. Since we just learned of the event recently, it was not included in the budget for the year. Stacey Leshner made a motion to approve a $300 allocation to Oktoberfest in the budget, and Michelle Rigsby seconded the motion. Motion passed unanimously by all in attendance. There is an informational meeting at Harold’s on August 16th and we will present more information on this event at the next meeting.
- Parent Mixer at Local Johnny’s – Thursday September 9th at 5pm. Book that sitter and come meet other HTES parents for a fun night out. We will have a designated outdoor area with misters and a bar. There will be PTO provided appetizers and feel free to order dinner from their menu.
- Family Movie Night at Big Earl’s – this fun family event is coming up Friday, October 1st at 6:30pm. You can drive in and listen to the movie on the radio in your vehicle, or bring blankets to lay out under the stars. More info to come!
- Oktoberfest – Saturday, October 2nd. Get a sitter and join us at Harold’s for a super fun evening of beer tasting, German food and music. This is a big fundraising opportunity for the school so get out your lederhosen and purchase those tickets. More info to come.
Tuesday, September 14th – 6pm via Zoom
Meeting adjourned at 9:47am